The Second Meeting House
The old meeting house in Soar Lane had become increasingly inadequate by the mid-19th century and a new one was planned. Land was purchased in Prebend Street, a few hundred yards south of the railway station and in 1876 the new meeting house was built to the design of Edward Burgess (1850-1929) soon to be a prominent Leicester architect, and a member of the Burgess Quaker family. The cost of the meeting house being raised by subscription of the members of the Meeting.
The property was sold to The Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Institute for the Blind in 1954 and the proceeds used towards the cost of the new meeting house in Queens Road.
Note: The offer of the LLRIB included “….use rent free of the Meeting House on First Days … till the new Meeting House is ready” 17/7/1954, Minute 14
This building survives and is now a Sikh Gurdwara.
The Victorian pine benches used in the present meeting room came from Prebend Street